Week 8 Blog Post - Sawhney & Dweck

                     

                Word Design For Technology Illustration. Royalty Free Cliparts, Vectors,  And Stock Illustration. Image 91332198.

Hello class, 

    Thanks again for visiting my blog site. This semester we have learned a lot about digitally-mediated teaching and learning approaches. We have learned how to blog, markup images, podcast, code, and much more. Everything we have learned this semester will benefit my future students. As future educators, we can use these learning approaches to develop our students in ways that I did not think about before taking this course. While I understood technology can develop young minds, I always disliked the idea of technology. Learning about technology at a young age, helps children grow and learn. Young learners can use technology to explore new worlds, make believe, and actively engage in fun and challenging activities. I can't wait to incorporate technology in my future classroom. 

    In the Sawhney (2021) video we watched, she came up with the idea of a Janet. I had never heard of this term/character before this week. It was cool to learn that Janet can be summoned from almost anywhere by just calling for her. Through the idea of a Janet, she was able to relate to past experiences that happened when she was in school. I love the idea of a Janet. If I had a Janet, I would use her as my personal reminder. What would you use her for? 

    As discussed in the video, Dweck (2014), educators must help their students learn and grow. We must provide positive feedback as well as constructive criticism to our students. Constructive criticism is meant to provide motivation to our students in which they can improve in their every day life. We must also challenge our students and not just hand out answers. Challenge is how students grow; without it, students will not get the opportunities to take risk, learn to fail, and figure out how to succeed. The "sense of progress" as Dweck calls it, is the central to developing growth mindsets. 

Thanks again for visiting my blog and.....

ENJOY SPRING BREAK (: 


References: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5xxKhHGVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiiEeMN7vbQ

Comments

  1. Hey Candice, thanks for sharing your thoughts this week! I have also found myself at times being a bit skeptical about using technology in the classroom. I am so grateful in the way that this class has transformed my opinion of technology. Dweck reminded me that it is most helpful to praise the process rather than the product. I needed that reminder! Lastly, If I had a Janet I would want her to tutor me for the math class I am currently taking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I get skeptical sometimes about technology use in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post, Candice! I agree with you that this technology class has given me a more open-mind of the use of technology in my future classroom. Teaching such young children can be a scary sight with the use of technology. I really enjoyed Dweck's video because I think it is important that every teacher has kids in an atmosphere of a growth mindset! If I had a Janet, I would set reminders to tell me a motivational quote every morning before getting ready to begin my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should check out Chloe's post, because y'all are on a similar wavelength in terms of using tech as a means of fostering individualized learning processes and engagement. Well said here, Candice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Candice!! I enjoyed reading your post for the week. I especially liked the part where you mentioned Dweck's sense of progress. I feel like some teachers just expect their students to know how to use technology in the classroom. When maybe we should be giving these student goals and monitoring their progress.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

E-Learning & Design Unit Plan Blog Post