Week 9 Design Unit Process & Learning by Design Framework

 Hello everyone!! 

I hope you all had a wonderful spring break. I enjoyed listening to everyone's presentation this week in class(: 

Summer Geometry Courses 2022 | Schedule a Free Session

    According to Kalantzis & Cope, n.d. a knowledge process is an activity type which represents a distinct way of making knowledge and learning. I am excited to start the design unit plan assignment. I don't have many ideas just yet, but one idea I had relates to design in Math. (Geometry) The idea is for my students to find a real world object or thing and shrink it in size creating a model. (experiencing the new) For example students could model the Golden Gate Bridge, The Great Pyramids, etc. Once they have researched the object they would like to model, they will be expected to find the history, specs, an any other interesting information about their object/item. (conceptualizing by using theory) Students will then need to use the specs they have found and scale the item down based on a 1 to 1000 ratio beginning to build their design. (applying creativity) After students have scaled their item down and modeled it, they will then be responsible for creating a PowerPoint in which they will use to tell their classmates about their final projects. Students will also evaluate each presentation in their own words. They will list a few things that went well during the presentation, what could have been done better, and anything else they noticed while sharing with classmates. (analyzing critically) 

I can't wait to read about all your creative ideas!! 

    

    

Comments

  1. Hey Candice, I hope you had a restful spring break! Your geometry idea is so creative. I like how you identified the knowledge processes by putting them in parenthesis. It kept things super clear and organized. Your idea for students to present their projects in PowerPoint is a wonderful idea! I specifically like how the students will evaluate their presentations. This is a great opportunity for reflection and improvement. Thank you for sharing your thoughts this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of examining geometry and scale in real world objects/structures. As you look into aligned Georgia Standards of Excellence, be sure to see if the 'to scale' idea is aligned to K-5 standards or not. You might be able to get away from simplifying your idea just a bit.

      Delete
  2. HI Candice!! I really like your scaling idea! I think the students would enjoy being able to explore and pick their own objects and places to model!! Can't wait to see what you come up with as your final idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Candice I enjoyed reading your blog. I like your idea of having the students pick their own object that they would like to shrink in size to create a new model. Great post Candice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

E-Learning & Design Unit Plan Blog Post