Week 6 Blog Post: Vocaroo & Connected Learning Framework

 

Welcome back for another blog post,

    I have attached my Vocaroo link down below. I hope you guys enjoy my first ever podcast. My interest that I talked about was Cricut design. Crafting has become a huge part of relaxation for me(: 

https://voca.ro/1hPemMzbCRtr



    Podcasting is a recording of audio discussion on a specific topic. This dynamic is a great way to deliver daily or weekly inspiration wherever the audience may be. Podcast can be a variety of different things, not just inspirational values. The goal is to target what your audience wants to hear. The cool thing about podcasting is that it can be streamed from anywhere. (your car, your house, your job, etc). I have never gotten into listening to podcast, but I may have to try it out pretty soon. 

    I enjoyed reading about the connected learning framework this week. I have two principles that stood out to me the most that could align with student podcasting. The first was sponsorship of youth interest. Although, this principle requires a sponsor, it still aligns with student podcasting in the following ways. Sponsors enable support, teach, model, mentor, and so much more. Through sponsorship support students can learn, correct, and model for their peers. A sponsorship would be important for my future students if they have never learned about podcasting before. This would be a great way to introduce podcasting and then help students progress through my help or a designated "sponsors" help. 

    The second principle that caught my eye was shared purpose  From Ito et al. (2020), "participants are engaged in activities not simply for the pleasure of pursuing an interest, but also to make a meaningful contribution to a community, perform or create work that is shared with others, or fulfill a collective purpose." This quote from this report stood out to me because podcasting is all about informing the community, sharing work with others, and having a purpose behind what is being said on the podcast. 

    If I was to introduce podcasting to my future students, I would be sure to make two lesson plans. I would be their "sponsor" on the first day and the second day they would be sharing their purposeful podcast with their peers. In their podcast, they can talk about what ever they feel comfortable talking about. The only guideline is that it must be meaningful and speak to the community, or in this case their classmates. As elementary school teachers, how could we keep students engaged with podcasting? What techniques do you think would work best? 

Thanks as always for viewing my blog and I look forward to seeing your comments from class this week(: 

Comments

  1. When I was teaching third grade, my students engaged in weekly interest-based research projects. Several chose to share their findings in mini podcasted 'essays' that we posted online for their peers and families to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Candice! Great post. I think engaging in projects like this can benefit students, but establishing a shared purpose is also important. Beginning a project like this and developing a shared purpose can help students have an end goal in mind when doing each podcast. Also... having a shared purpose as a class can help build a community within the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candice! Great job! I actually got a Cricut for Christmas and while I am still learning in the ins and outs of it, I love it! I have made one t-shirt and a few small monogramed initials for family and friends. I cannot wait to use it in my future classroom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

E-Learning & Design Unit Plan Blog Post